Say NO to Kimkins Web Ring

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Kimkins Member Wrestles with Major Issues

As a former journalist, I don't take kindly to sensationalizing the news. But, there is so much that is so over the top about the Kimkins diet and its obese guru Heidi Diaz, it's hard to write about it and NOT sound as though your sensationalizing.

An inside source at Kimkins sent me a couple of passages from a member journal. It is full of pain, and overwhelming issues. So, I've been wondering if publishing it is the right thing to do.

I do NOT want to sensationalize, and therefore trivialize what this woman is going through.

But, I feel her words give important insight into the mental issues that can arise from trying to conform to a starvation diet like Kimkins. I hope that by shining a light on this situation, it may help others to face their eating disordered behavior.

Kimkins member journal:

I recently joined a 12 step program for people married
to addicts of any kind and this is one of the things that started me realizing
that I have problems too. Also my doctor came right out and told me she thinks I
need to be on Wellbutrin and that I have an ED. So where does that leave me? I'm
not taking the antidepressant. Leaves me dealing with the truth and "taking it
one day at a time" to admit what I have been thinking and doing is not good.In
taking a moral inventory and also admitting the exact nature of my wrongs
(against myself really) I will now admit for the first time ever in public that
I have been binging and purging. Only I don't throw up. I take lots of
laxatives. LOTS. I learned this a couple years ago when Miralax came out
. I have
this fear of being constipated, it makes me physically ill and panicky. Also, I
have this weird thing in my head that when I *say* I'm going to watch my
calories, it's like it turns on a Super Hunger switch inside my head. When I
*say* I'm going to exercise I feel weak and tired and never do it. It's like I
make myself sick just thinking about it. I hope anyone reading this won't judge
me too harshly
. It doesn't sound like anyone could judge her as harshly as she is judging herself! Admitting this is hard. My heart even now is pounding so hard
and my face is red, I can feel it. I wonder if others get physical signs like
this? But I know if I want to get better I have to.Did I ever go off Kimkins?
Well yes, a little bit but I haven't gained the weight back too bad because the
truth is I pretty much eat K/E all the time with the occasional salad thrown in.
I recently realized that XXXX left here but I was trying to cycle like she
did with Atkins. Then is when I began seeing some of my issues. Another thing I find hard to maintain is eating several square meals a day. I tend to starve
myself and then overeat. I rationalized this by saying it all balanced out in
the end calorie wise. Ok that's all for now. If I can come in here and say all
this on a regular basis maybe I can get on a journey towards healing.

Kimmer wrote: Hi XXX! When you were diagnosed were you given recommendations? That would be the first place to start. Did you doctor recommend a different weight loss program? Therapy or support groups? Don't feel down on yourself. If you consider that every obese person has an eating disorder as defined with an unhealthy relationship with food. Whether lacking the control to avoid foods that are harmful, purging foods out of guilt or being unable to limit quantities. In other words, it's NOT your fault, eh Heidi?? Some might call it addiction. Whatever it is, many of us are there.Some consider it a control issue -- either lack of control or super obsessive control. Others find diets with liberal guidelines most beneficial. Some people find a restrictive diet helpful which is the basis for medically prescribed liquid diets or gastric surgery. Glad to have you back!

From XXX
-Thank you for commenting. I have been trying to get my nerve up for days to PM
you but I'm just too what...nervous?
WHY?? Aren't you paying her for support? Why on earth would you worry about PM'ing Kimmer?? Sorting it all out I think, but you know, admitting this is so hard.She didn't give me much other than a handout. See, also she is a diabetic doctor (I'm prediabetic and just started on metformin a
few months ago trying to avoid full blown type II) and so of course we get into
food questions. She is pretty much in favor of low carb so that's good, but she wants me to make an appt with a nutritionist. Well, thank heavens!For some reason THAT freaks me out. Why?For what you said, yes, I seem to go back and forth between obsessive control (starving) and getting too hungry, binging and then, well you have to get rid of all that. (sorry, TMI). What is weird is like I said before. I have thought this was normal for a long time. Admitting it's not is just, strange. thanks again for your comments
This poor girl is totally out of control where food is concerned, she had no idea that she's doing a dangerous diet that is not helping, but contributing to her issues with food.

From the Kimmer:
XXXX, there's nothing to get your nerve up about, I'm always available and I won't judge. People share their most intimate secrets with me and I'm honored. It sure makes it easier to use people and lie to them when they tell me exactly what they're thinking! Which eating disorder did she diagnose? Bulimia or a combo? She gave you a pamphlet and that was it??? Do you have a follow up appointment? Did she set goals? Keeping in mind that I'm not a therapist or doctor, the root of eating disorders and our relationship with food and body image is very complex. Shazam, call Mike Wallace - Heidi just told the truth for once!! There's a triangle of guilt, hate & shame that's really difficult to overcome on your own. You might want to look for someone to talk to. If you have insurance they probably have a referral source for mental
health. If you don't, check out your community or county health department for
sliding fee scale resources and clinics.What I do know is anything done in
secret is done in shame ... and that's not good. Whether binging, purging,
drinking, drugs or shopping sprees that are hidden from spouses. I think meeting
with a nutritionist is a good idea. Most aren't supportive of very low carb
diets (they're trained on the USDA food pyramid), but maybe a less restrictive
weight loss plan is better for your situation? Doesn't hurt to chat with her and
get a different viewpoint. If you feel strongly that you want to stay with
Kimkins, ask her if she can modify for you Why modify Kimmer? Haven't you said that your diet is just like those doctor-approved plans for WLS patients?? (chances are it will be higher carb like South Beach, but that's fine).Your relationship with food and your self image is what's at stake. I'm very proud of you for having the courage to publicly post. That took a lot of guts.


People like this are why I and so many others keep on fighting Heidi Diaz. She must be stopped. This woman is so overwhelmed with her life, I seriously doubt she knows anything of the controversy surrounding this diet. I cannot quit until Heidi Diaz can no longer dispense her insane diet advice and her false friendship to people who are hurting like this woman is.

It is my sincere hope that she gets the help she needs to be whole, healthy and happy again. One thing is certain: Heidi is looking at this woman's problems as an opportunity for her to further the fraud that is Kimkins. Heidi isn't that nice to anyone without expecting a huge payoff in return!

4 comments:

Mimi said...

{{Mayberryfan}} Bless you for caring enough to speak out.

For Heidi the bottom line is IMO twofold:

1. as you said, "One thing is certain: Heidi is looking at this woman's problems as an opportunity for her to further the fraud that is Kimkins."

2. She's also looking at this woman's problems as an opportunity to hurt her.

There's been discussion, off and on, as to just what exactly is it that drives Heidi -- money? sex? power? status? etc.

IMO the primary driving force is the delight in being evil and in doing evil.

Period.

She loves money, yeah, and power, sure, and other things, who doesn't -- but in her case those are important to her for one reason and one reason only -- they either enable her to continue being delighted in being/doing evil (that's why she wants/needs money), or they are avenues for the indulgence and outliving of her delight in being/doing evil (that's why she wants/needs power etc.).

Mayberryfan said...

Yes! I also believe that Heidi gets off on hurting people. She is far too narcissistic to hurt herself, but she also has a complete disdain for fat people - which she happens to be! So, she turns her self-hatred out on to others. She's totally sadistic.

If she weren't so evil, it would be easy to feel sorry for her.

Unknown said...

My own nutritionist looked at the KK plan and was horrified at the nutritional levels (much in the same way the nutritionist was on that Fox morning program)!

I have much sympathy for that woman and hope her Doctor will tell her that eating a "one-diet fits all" will cause all around wellness problems and not just her body, either!

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

You know, I think most of us just cannot comprehend this kind of personality. We don't want to believe that anyone could be so evil as to deliberately hurt someone this way. It boggles the mind and makes me very sad.