Say NO to Kimkins Web Ring

Saturday, June 7, 2008

One Year: Reflections & Thank You's

Sometime today I remembered that it was precisely one year ago that I began eating low carb. 365 days and still going strong. Such an occasion should be marked by remembering how much progress has been made, what obstacles lie ahead, and who has been there along the way to help.

While I'm a little disappointed that I'm not yet at goal, I have come a long way! I've lost about 60 lbs. Amazing! I'm very proud of myself for that! Plus, I've learned so much about healthy low carb eating (see, I don't think it's a diet), the dangers of VLCD's, made some terrific friends, and become an activist against the diet scam known as Kimkins, while becoming an advocate for those who are determined to reclaim their health after leaving Kimkins.

One of the most amazing things I've come to understand in the past year?? Fat is your friend. My body LOVES burning fat for energy. I used to be sluggish, sleepy, and ravenous when I ate so many carbs, even though I was eating real whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc. Now, I have tons of energy like I haven't had since I was a kid. It's a beautiful thing!

I've learned just how dangerous starving yourself can be. Kimkins encourages people to eat only about 500 calories per day and keep fat and carb gram intake extremely low. That can cause permanent health problems long-term, and make your hair fall out, give you heart palpitations and dizzy spells even after just a few weeks.

I've learned to control my emotional eating...for the most part. And, at least now, when I'm stressed and I want to eat, I'm making much better choices. I don't dive into a bag of chips and swim to the other side!

I've learned drug-free appetite control by eliminating sugar and starch from my diet. Even now, when I allow myself a tiny cheat, that's ALL it can be. Tonight at dinner I had a big salad with bacon bits, albacore tuna and my fabulous honey-mustard dressing. Afterwards, I ate a 1" slice of homemade lemon ice box pie. I COULDN'T have eaten more even if I'd wanted to. And, I'm not tempted to go back for more later. That sort of thing just doesn't taste that good to me anymore.

I've learned that adapting recipes to low carb is easy, fun and much tastier than what I was eating in the past. I don't miss the rice, potatoes, or corn. But, I'm still working on not missing garlic bread.

I've learned to make exercise a part of my routine. Walking virtually everyday is now a habit and I don't even think about it. I just do it.

I've learned that there are horrible people online who will lie to you, take your money, and manipulate you. This is what it was like to be a Kimkins member and be a victim of Heidi Diaz. I've also learned to stand up for myself and others who have been hurt by this diet scam. In short, I work hard everyday to make Heidi say uncle.

I've learned that there are some WONDERFUL people online who are willing to help others, share their knowledge, make suggestions and support you through difficult times. I'd like to name just a few: Pauline - TaDa!, Cleochatra, Linda Sue, and countless others at Low Carb Friends Main Lobby. These gals are experts and go out of their way to be helpful to all.

Everyone in the Fascination with Kimmer thread at LCF - this is a funny, caring, determined bunch of folks who help each other daily in the quest to rid the Internet of Heidi Diaz - founder of Kimkins. Jeanessa, Honeybee, Truth, Lora, WA6, MrsMen., Lou, Magicsmom, Amyb, Rebel, MomtoEli, MissMerize, 2Big, CarolynF, Barb, Mariasol, OYB, Christin, Kat, etc. etc. etc. ALL of the weed-pullers, Russian Bride finders, etc. You are all very special people and I'm glad to know you. (If I left out your name, please forgive me. It's late!!!)

Special mention to Mimi, Bamagal, and Medusa: We may not always agree on everything, but I think the world of you and I appreciate the help and the encouragement you've given me along the way!

And last, but SO not least, my partner in crime Jo! The other Fun Girl. So glad we've gotten to know each other IRL! I guess we'll just have to accept that we owe Heidi a teeeny-tiny debt of gratitude for helping us meet. Your encouragement and support will enable me to make my goal. I have no doubt about that! You are truly THE BEST!

So, where will I be in another 365 days? At goal, and helping write the screenplay about the rise and demise of one obese diet guru - Kimmer. We might just call it "The Kimpire Strikes Out"

6 comments:

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary of lowcarb. Such a huge accomplishment. Wishing you many more years of lowcarb energy and health and, of course, dittoes!!

Mary aka Amadeus from the fascination thread.

MrsMenopausal said...

WOOOHOO! Happy one year, Mayberry. That's awesome. WTG!

Kat said...

Congrats Mayberry!! Good job...keep it up, you will reach goal. Don't give Jo to hard of a time, lol...if nothing else, she will keep you laughing which should be worth at least a pound or two off!

Barbara B said...

Happy Anniversary. I know what you mean about low carb eating being an easy and healthy way of eating. Keep up the good work.

2BIG4MYSIZE said...

Happy anniversary and Glad it isn't 1 yr kimkins anniversary cause you would not be very healthy to celebrate it.

Jo2621 said...

Congrats to you kiddo. Here's to looking good and feeling marhvelous!

I'm right there for you every step of the way. KUTGW!!

Love Ya. Jo